Monday, September 17, 2007

I Hate Auditioning

I'm about 3 minutes from quitting theater. Let me tell you why. I drag myself to NYC yesterday for an audition for the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego. They are doing a new musical called 'The Band Wagon' - there is a couple of characters I figure I was a good fit for. So I come to NYC. Fine. (Sorry NYC friends I didn't call...it was quick...and I'm on my way home again...we'll talk later.....) (OH YEAH....and XANADU rocked.)

ANYWAY - so I drag myself to the audition this morning. It's a cool, fall morning in NYC and things at the Actor's Equity Building are relatively slow. I get a time slot with the 9:50am group, and I sit and watch the madness going on around me as actors come and go, sign up and talk about themselves and their projects and their importance. I kind of want to kill most of them, but that's another story completely.

Finally, my group is called to line up...I end up 2nd in my group, behind this really nice black man, and as we sit there we start chatting until it's our turn. He's very funny...and soon enough it's his turn to go in....a few seconds of silence as he gives his music to the pianist in the room, and then BOOM! he starts singing MY SONG THAT I WAS GOING TO SING! I mean starting at the same place and everything! And excuse me, but not only did he sing it, but he sang the SH$T out of it! He was AMAZING!!!! And I died a little bit in the chair. We're talking riffs and all this stylization....pure Christina Aguilera going on in the room while I'm CRAPPING in my chair outside the door. WHAT am I going to do? He gets done, walks out of the room, gives me a quick smile and wave and says, 'Hey! Break a leg! Talk to you later....'

Let me answer your questions: 1. It is NOT a song that is well known, so it's not like everyone does it. It's pretty obscure. 'Dreamscape' from Schwartz CD titled 'Reluctant Pilgrim.' Yeah...exactly. 2. I did NOT mention to him that I was singing it, and he did NOT mention it to me. 3. I switched as I walked in to a song from Little Shop of Horrors ('Skid Row') that is a song I do all the time AND a song NOT on the list of composers music they were looking for. 4. I didn't really punch him. He was SO nice and he sounded REALLLLLLLLLLY good with the song...so no hard feelings towards him. I just can't believe all the luck. What are the chances?

So yeah....I'm now about 1 1/2 minutes from quitting theater.
You can't stop me.

6 comments:

Dainon. said...

Once I tried out for an Elvis movie in L.A. and we had to choose between three songs. All 100+ of us, yes.

If that makes you feel any better.

MAnderson said...

Strangely...yes....I do feel a little better. Thanks, Dainon! I can always count on you.

Sparklebot said...

Rotten luck.

Richelle said...

I have a fabulous quote I heard on a movie once. Here it is:

THE BRAVE MAY NOT LIVE FOREVER, but the cautious do not live at all.

DON'T GIVE UP, FRIEND!!!

Richelle said...

So, as I read my comment, I realized that the quote really didn't have anything to do with your situation. Just liked it, that's all!

Drew Poling said...

Matt, matt, mATt,

So you would have sung the same song. That's irrelevant b/c:

1. You would have been amazing IN YOUR OWN WAY.
2. Call me krazy, but I hardly think you and he would have been considered for the same role.
3. You could have made a completely hilarious "you'll never believe this/what are the chances?" bit out of coming in and singing the very same cut. Charm opportunity.