Thursday, October 11, 2007

Odd Conversation

So the other night, my friend Heather had some tickets to go see the musical stage comedy 'I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change' just up the street in Bethesda, MD. It was barely adequate, as far as productions of that show go, but it was fun to see Heather - and we were both impressed that Yanni was playing the piano in the orchestra. But that's not the point.

Before the show started, I was standing in the lobby as Heather was off talking to someone else, and I ran into a woman that I worked with here in DC a few years ago. We shall call her Vickie. Vickie (50-something years old) and I sat across the wall from each other when we both were working at a certain performing arts center named for a previous US President. We were always friendly, but never really shared a social circle or calendar. The last time I had seen Vickie was about 2 years ago or so. We had not spoken between our last meeting and this current meeting.

The following is the ENTIRE exchange that took place between Vickie and I. I'm still a little confused by it. But maybe it's just me. Let me know what you think.....odd? or not so much?

Matt: Hey there Vickie! Long time no see. How are you doing?

Vickie: (please add British accent...since Vickie has one) I'm doing well, Matt. It's good to see you. (cricket.......cricket.......)

Matt: So you excited to see this show?

Vickie: Oh yes. Of course. (cricket........) So....where are you living these days?

Matt: Oh I'm here in DC still. Just living in Northwest....up by Friendship Heights.

Vickie: Good. Good. Did you drive here tonight or Metro up?

Matt: I drove.

Vickie: Oh good. (cricket....cricket....) I only ask because I'm here with my cycling friends, and I'm the designated driver, and I have an extra space in my car....if you needed a ride.

Matt: (a little baffled....) Oh yeah? No...I'm actually fine. But.......thanks........

Vickie: Well, nice to see you. Enjoy the show. (Exit left.......)

Matt: (cricket......cricket.......) Oh. OK. Bye.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand SCENE.

OK seriously folks......I understand the offering was very nice. But regardless, I was, and still am, a little baffled. OH - and I don't drink and I didn't appear drunk, so don't go assuming that. I hadn't even had a Diet Coke. I know - hard to believe but true.

So....is it odd? Or is it just me?

4 comments:

Richelle said...

(In a heavy British accent):Odd. Very odd indeed.

Gillian said...

Curious...she wants you...

Shannon said...

Admit it...you were drunk and you have always been drunk, it took a 50 year old lady for you to come clean...I can read under the lines...its a cry for help...just ask.

MAnderson said...

HAHAHAHAH! Shannon - you KNOW what lush I am. And now you've told everyone.
Thanks. :)