Monday, November 5, 2007

Guess What I Saw This Weekend...

You're sitting there, reading this, thinking that there is a strange, outside chance that I took a trip to the UK this weekend and saw Stonehenge. And although I am spontaneous and would probably do something crazy like that, I did NOT do that at all. Instead, I went to Southern Virginia - to a place called Buena Vista, VA. I went to visit my friends, the Rolfe Brothers, Kevin and Darin. And while I was there, Kevin and his awesome girlfriend, Ashley, took me to see the rarest of gems in the area. No - not Natural Bridge. 1 mile NORTH of Natural Bridge. It's name? FOAMHENGE. Correct. Foamhenge.

With your eagle eye, you can actually spot Foamhenge under this sign, to the right, through the trees. See?

A full-scale model of Stonehenge, made completely out of foam. Styrofoam, to be more exact. In the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Free and open to the public. Ridiculously hysterical...and I'd dare say WELL worth the drive or Amtrak trip down to visit the area. I mean, you are just one mile away from Natural Bridge, as well. So you could probably catch that, too. But you may just want to spend the ENTIRE day at Foamhenge. I know I sure didn't want to leave!

This is what you see when you park. The sign on that thanks you for visiting....read down that and see how Foamhenge was built. Wow.

Then...when you get to the top...there is THIS interesting and somewhat creepy warning.

Then you're free to wander.....

take group photos.....

be silly.....(that's Ashley 'testing' the foam on the left, and Kevin, Ashley and Katie, Ashley's cool roommate, on the right)...

or just enjoy the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains around you.

There is ALSO always time for ART SHOTS, folks! This one is titled: Girls Ponder Foam.

This one is titled: Kevin. Alone.

You GOTTA see it to believe it....

you won't be sorry you did.

So...you spend some time walking around Foamhenge, and you find there are 2 signs proposing different ways Stonehenge came about. The first says basically that SOMEONE built it...and then it expains how they probably built it. But the second one says that maybe Merlin, the wizard, cast spells on the stone and made them stand up that way. SO....FOAMHENGE comes complete with a MERLIN WIZARD!

Merlin casts his spell and 'makes' Stone- and Foamhenge.

Kevin tries his hand at wizardry.

Katie and Ashley take a load off, while Merlin continues to keep watch in the background.

AND...just when you think it can't get any weirder OR creepier....VOILA! You go UP to Merlin and read the sign just near him.

I MEAN........eww. So of course, I got a close up.

Kevin celebrates an afternoon WELL spent at Foamhenge. Don't miss it!

No comments: