Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Keeping Up With The Garcia's

So get THIS! The US Census Bureau recently released a list of the most common surnames in the country. Basically, the top 5,000. In order. No surprise that SMITH comes in at the top. The last time they did this study, in 1990, it was #1, too. That's some staying power. No change in the top 3, actually. So all you Smith's, Johnson's and Williams's, CONGRATS!

The real interesting finding in this list is that Garcia and Rodriguez have both moved into the top 10. And Martinez comes in at #11! Infact, it comes in right before Anderson. Sneaky 'Martinez' actually took over #11 from 'Anderson', where we were in the 1990 study. I'm not happy with a drop...but atleast we didn't plummet. ('Farmer'? Down 74 spots. From #357 then to #431 now. EMBARASSING!!!!)

And don't even get me STARTED on 'Nguyen'...which moved UP an incredible 172 spots from the 1990 study. Then? #229. Today? They sit comfortably at #57. Talk about a climb. Watch OUT, 'Rodriguez' peeps!

Anyway - take a look at the list yourself and see where your surname falls. Let me know, if you feel so inclined. It's a fun list. Just click HERE, and you'll be taken to the article that was in the New York Times. And don't scroll through them all to FIND your name....just use the SEARCH bar. Much easier. Not like I started to scroll through names before I realized the search bar was there.........nope. Not me......

Hope this keeps you busy at work on a slow Thursday afternoon......

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My last name isn't even in the top 5,000. I'm unique;).

nutella said...

My last name isn't on there either, although a truncated version of it is at 2,199.

-Sarah

Hot Pants said...

Talk about a drop, I went from #57 in 1990 to #2234 now! Of course in 1990 I was Morgan.