Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Walk

I took a walk yesterday...the weather was warm (60's in mid-November and a bit humid....weird), I had some free time, and I just wanted to check out a few things that I show people on Segway tours or people have asked me about but I wasn't sure about. I found the original 'memorial' that FDR had said he wanted if ever a memorial was erected in his honor. I found out that the statue in front of the Federal Court House is for General Meade of Pennsylvania. I finally took a look at that crazy-cool statue of all the people and animals in the boat at the Canadian Embassy and read the signs about it. (AND I love it....but I couldn't get any good pictures of it.....sorry.) And I finally went up the clock tower at the Old Post Office Pavilion. There was me and 2 other people up there.....and it was late in the afternoon on a day that had been pretty much overcast the entire day.

I was deep in thought as I headed up the elevator. I was thinking about life and my plans and all that STUFF that bogs down our minds when we have free time to think. And quite honestly, I had been thinking a lot the past couple of weeks and it was really bogging me down...just trying to sort it all out. But then the elevator doors opened, I walked out, turned to my right, and in an instant, my cares and worries and concerns literally vanished. I had a moment of perspective...as I stood there and watched the sun trying to fight through the clouds....slowly, ray by ray, until small patches of Earth were scattered with bits of sunlight. The perspective? It's cheesy, so brace yourself. But in my mind I thought that we....or I or whatever useage you want to use....are like that sun in the sense that we are asked to shine in whatever setting we're in. Our "shine" is just who we are. I can't control the clouds....you can't control the weather....we have no control over anything outside our area of SHINE. But if we do what we are asked, if we accept our capacity to shine no matter what, then we are going to get through. We may have days when we flood our world with sunlight. And we will definitely have days when just a ray or two break through. But ultimately, we have no other choice. I mean, (in THIS analogy, least) we're balls of burning gas...what ELSE are we going to do?

It was quite a walk......


1 comment:

Richelle said...

The picture and your words were beautiful. . .and so true!!