Friday, January 18, 2008

A Winter Blog Thaw

So I looked at the date today on an email....January 18th...and I realized I couldn't put off a blog entry any longer. Not so much because the masses have been clamoring. (By "masses", I mean my mom, my bored co-worker, Shanna, and some random teenager in Helsinki.) (And by "clamoring", I mean...well...not really clamoring at all.) More just because my December and January have turned into such a blurrrrr of activity and events that I needed the therapy that blogging has become to me to sort out WHAT just happened. (Namely....nearly 2 months passed in what seems like 27.5 seconds, and I'm just realizing it!) Here is my attempt to sort it out:

SHLEMIEL

So I can't believe that the last real entry I wrote was December 17th, right before we opened Shlemiel. Today, January 18th, we are WELL into our run of the show. How "well"? We close on Sunday! And when I think about the past month with the show, my head SPINS! The process getting the show open was anything but easy...and although it wasn't terrible, it definitely took its toll on all of us. But after we opened (having only really 2 weeks of rehearsals)and after the reviews were less than stellar (search for SHLEMIEL on the Washington Post website and find the review, if you want. No way I'm putting it on here for you....) and after we worked through a number of internal struggles with the production company, the show finally turned into such a fun, charming, silly experience....and I'm at a point now where I love doing it. Who cares what the reviews said (the Washington Times DID give it our closest thing to a rave....being 2.5 out of 4 stars. Oy!) - the general public who came to see the show actually really enjoyed the show...and the music...and the silliness that the stories of Chelm are. The show is an escape...and it's been a source of a lot of happiness for a lot of people. And I can say that when it closes on Sunday, I'll be pretty sad that it's over. But I can also say that after all that we went through to get it up on its feet, I'm proud of the show it turned out to be...and to claim it as my first real gig in the DC professional theater realm.

HOLIDAYS

I love the holidays. I'm always a sucker for the parties and the gift giving and the gathering of friends and family. And this year, er...last year (2007. Keep up with me, peeps!) I missed it all. With my Jewish-themed show going, and a rough rehearsal process, and shows on the 23rd and 26th, I just missed everything I love about the holidays. I managed to make it a Christmas to remember, though. I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with friends who were also in the DC area...and I had a great time. From a Christmas Eve meal of Indian Food with the Rosmans (who are Jewish...and had a fun time peppering me with questions about family Christmas traditions), to Christmas Day FUN with the Oliphant's through the streets of DC on our favorite 2-wheeled people movers, to Christmas Dinner with The Benedetti's, a Walsh, a Benedetti-Walsh, and a smattering of others, and finally to a movie with friends late Christmas night, it definitely was a day of activity, happiness and fun. And what I loved most about it is that it made me appreciate my Christmas memories and Christmas traditions from growing up even more. The 2007 Holiday Season in my book was definitely different....but it was definitely great! Oh yeah....and HAPPY 2008.

SEGWAY TOURS

I spent a fair time in December, when I wasn't rehearsing Shlemiel, picking up tours with City Segways. I really love the cold - and it seems like people who sign up for a Segway tour in December KNOW it's going to be cold - so for the most part, the tours were fun and exciting because everyone is a good sport and up for the adventure. And did I mention that it was also cold? But I really love the opportunity to do the Segway tours...because the people I meet are, on the whole, HYTSERICAL. And I will NEVER, EVER, EVER get tired of showing off Washington DC! Washington DC is really beautiful around the holidays, too...so that made it even better.

WASHINGTON SPEAKERS BUREAU

So, for those of you who know my history in DC, you'll be surprised to know that at the beginning of the year, I took a part-time job with my old employer, The Washington Speakers Bureau. In Alexandria, Virginia. I'm helping an agent and associate team here, Team MM! I'm basically doing admin stuff....mailing and data entry and updating and what not. Really, whatever the bored co-worker I mentioned at the first wants me to do. I call her the Slave Driver. But just because it's more fun than admitting that she's actually my BOSS! BUT - although the work is mindless, and can be pretty boring, I can't complain....because it allows me to pop in my ipod, listen to music, and re-connect with people and an industry that I love! So when I'm not: doing Shlemiel or giving Segway Tours, I'm sitting at a desk in Old Town, researching bounce back emails and adding new clients to the ML. HAHAHAHAHA. That was just some of the lingo they use there. It all just basically means that I'm busy doing Shanna's job while she eats bon bons and goes out to get her nails done. And I'm ok with that....

LOOKING AHEAD

So, strangely, I feel caught up. Or as caught up as I'm going to get. And looking ahead, into 2008, I see a big, open playing field. I do have another show lined up. I'll be doing a second show with Theater J here in DC. It's a WORLD PREMIERE MUSICAL called 'David In Shadow And Light'. It's based on the story of King David from the Bible. More details to come. That goes into rehearsals at the end of March. I'm also just starting work on a community theater show here in the area, 'Urinetown'. I'm choreographing the show - and get to work with 2 dear friends that I worked with on 'HONK' a few years back, Andy and Elisa! It's going to be a lot of work...but I'm ready for the challenge. I'm also gearing up for the 2008 Segway Season...so all of you who are planning vacations, get your butts out here to your Nation's Capital and take a tour! But seriously....if you're around and want info...just holler. I'd love to have you along. You gotta book early...we're a big deal in the DC, yo! I'll also continue doing random work with the WSB...as long as they need me or can stand me. And in the mix somewhere there, I'll be doing auditions here in DC and maybe a couple up in NYC, looking forward to the 2008-2009 season. The whole point is to LTD...and the only want to do it is audition! So that's what I'll keep doing.

Hope this finds you all safe and well, and well into your new year! I hope 2008 is full of happiness and blessings and goodness and joy. And I hope that 2008 is the time YOU decide to LTD, whatever it may be. Take a chance...embrace your passion...and remember to breathe. We'll see you back here real soon...with more updates, stories, pictures and happenings. Until then....Happy MLK Day!

Peace.

No comments: