Friday, February 29, 2008

The Last Five Years

So I'm taking advantage of an extra day in February this year (Happy Leap Year Day, btw!) to catch up on a posting I meant to post yesterday. (I really had every intention on getting around to it....but as my mission president used to say, the pathway to hell is paved with good intentions. But...I digress......)

So the 27th of February was an 'anniversary' of sorts in my life and the life of some of my closest friends back home. Five years ago February 27th, one of my best friends, Shawn Marti, and his wife, Natalie and their 5-month old daughter, Sage, were hit by a drunk driver while on their way home to Caldwell. Shawn and Sage were killed that night...and Natalie ended up surviving, and for those who aren't familiar with the details of the wreck, it is somewhat of a miracle that she is here. Over the last five years, Natalie has become one of the most inspirational and amazing people I know. She is a dear friend...and I am continually reminded of the blessing she is in my life...and how thankful I am that she is a survivor.

I wanted to post today NOT to lament the loss of Shawn and Sage. I miss them terribly - and find that pain like that never goes away...you just learn to manage it better. But I wanted to share an article with you from (my favorite) The Idaho Statesman about Natalie...just to show you the person I have seen her become since this tragedy changed her life forever. And for those of you familiar with Natalie and the entire situation, just to give you an update of her progress and strength...and her life today.

Click HERE to read the article. (The Idaho Press Tribune also ran a story on the 27th. You can read that one, too, if you want. Click HERE for that one.)

Today I post in celebration of Natalie Marti. She has taught me the power of love, the miracle of forgiveness, and repeated lessons of living life to its fullest....even when things don't work out like we ever hoped or dreamed they would. I hope that as you read about her that you might learn something, too. Hers are definitely lessons well worth learning. Love your guts, Nat!

Shawn, Sage and Natalie Marti.

Good times, great oldies.....

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Thank you for sharing this, Matt. Much love to you, Natalie!

Jen said...

Matt, thanks for sharing this story. Ironically, I was able to share this story with a friend and it really brought some great perspective to her tough situation right now.