Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Headshots

So....you want to be an actor, huh? Well, one of the things you're going to need to have to really get started is a headshot to take in to auditions...that shows your face/head (naturally). It's really your calling card and your first chance to make an impression on directors, producers, casting agents, etc. And, as SOMEONE learned this past year, sometimes, it's the ONLY factor that some casting directors will use when deciding who to invite into the building to audition. (ME. Avenue Q auditions. Los Angeles. WOW. What a story. Ask me about it sometime.....)

So for the past 5 or so years, I've been using the same headshot when I have gone in. And let me say now that it's not a bad picture....it's just not RIGHT for me....plus, if I'm being completely honest, it's an awful lot of FOREHEAD. Here. Look for yourself.

Why hello there, Matt. You serious, dramatic, dark, sulty, large-forehead of a man.

Well, I'm happy to report that those days are LONG GONE! When I was home in Boise, I was talking to my old high school pal, Tyler Cazier, and we were talking about headshots and how pricey they are in NYC...and he, being an award-winning photographer who specializes in senior pictures, family and wedding pictures, said I could come to his studio, we could try a few things, and if I wasn't happy, I didn't have to buy anything. Couldn't beat that offer. So I showed him some of the work of some headshot artists in NYC, and he said he would do what he could.

Now here I am, to share the shots with YOU....because not only did he deliver...but I am THRILLED with them....and for me to add THRILLED to a sentence about pictures of myself is unheard of. I'm NEVER happy with pictures of me....I always end up pulling a strange face...or looking like the escaped balloon from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. It's never a good thing. And yet....Tyler worked it OUT....got me to relax and produced some pretty knock-out pictures, IF I do say so myself! (I mean...'knock out' in context of previous shots.....of me...hahahahaha!)

A few different shots...color & b/w selections.

Different shades and contrasts of what I like to think of my 'Artsy Shot'.

A couple of smile variations.

So there they are....and like I said, I'm thrilled. If you're in the Boise area, and need pictures for ANY reason, get a hold of Tyler at CPX - his photography business. His awesome mom, Mary, is the receptionist, so when you call, tell her Matt sent you! And if you're an actor on the East coast, and you might like to get some starter-headshots, great quality at a BEYOND reasonable price, let me know! Maybe we can get a handful of folks together and get Tyler to come out to DC for a few days for some shots. It's worth looking into.
And a HUGE thanks to Tyler! Seriously though Tyler....what are the chances that we'd both run in to "HIM" - both at church - on opposite coasts - all these years later? LIFE, my friend, is funny. And not HA-HA funny. More INTERESTING funny. Like sleeping-on-a-church-lawn funny. HA!
Later!
MAnderson

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Love your new headshots! :) EXCUSE ME but i need a copy of your Brothers and Sisters soundtrack!!! I've got 2 SYTYCD ones I can trade you. :)

Nate and Sina said...

Those are great!! If only you would have had those a few months ago in LA! You for sure would have made the casting call!