Thursday, September 20, 2007

Call Me Murray...Murray Poppins!

Today, I played nanny (or should I say 'manny') to my favorite 16 month old in the entire Washington DC/Mid-Atlantic region: Louise Block! Miss Lulu, if you'd rather. Her Grandma Block normally does nanny-duties when Lulu's mom, Allison has to head into the office...but Grandma Block is in Arizona welcoming Lulu's newest cousin, Carter, to the world! So I got up early, got ready and spent the day with this little lady.

"Impress me, Manny. I DARE YA!"

Here's one of the things I love MOST about Lulu....she is NO-nonsense. She sees right through tricks and ploys, and is quite frankly bored with anyone attempting to not be upfront and real with her. She would have NOTHING to do with me flying IN the front door with my umbrella to start the morning, she was less than impressed when I offered her a spoon full of sugar, she did NOT want to go fly a kite, and she thought the tuppence I gave her was for the birds. (Wait a minute.......)

"Fly a KITE? Don't think so."

"Did you JUST offer me a spoon of sugar? Are you crazy! I'd NEVER get to sleep...."

She wanted her day pretty simple and straight forward: a snack, reading her favorite books, a nice walk, lunch, a couple of diaper changes, some Sprout TV and a nice long afternoon nap (since she couldn't stay awake). She told me RIGHT off the bat, "I love to laugh, Matt, so if you'll just step in time and keep up with me, we'll get along great." Can you BELIEVE this is the life I lead? But I'll tell you right now, I love it!

"Put that carpet bag DOWN and push me, Manny."

"Excuse me. Yes, you sir. I'll take that nap now."

And I'm PRETTY sure I heard her mumble, as I left her room, that I was "...the perfect nanny" that day. So.......that's supercalifragil......never mind. This jolly holiday is over! But man what a joy it was to spend the day with Miss Louise Block! We had a great time...and she really is one of my most favorite short people around! I'd do it again in a second...but she HAS to promise fewer diaper changes. Like....NONE would be ideal. Thanks, Lulu! Love your GUTS!

"Enough with the camera, man nanny! Where are my fig newtons!?"

Here's what my camera caught.....

and here's what I saw.

"I'll show you 'LOOK OVER HERE!' and you won't like it, Mister."

No comments: