Thursday, October 25, 2007

Perspective

I woke up today a little bit panicky...a little bit apprehensive...for a number of different reasons. I tend to over-think situations, which causes me to stress or panic about things that are, quite possibly, ficticious. Financially, socially, physically, spiritually...you name it, I've probably over-thought it and worried about it on one occaison or another. So this morning, when I woke up stressed about life and work and the possibility of death by packs of monkeys (please click HERE if you're wondering what I'm talking about), I realized it was going to be one of "THOSE" days and rolled out of bed.
Since it is Thursday, it is actually my 'manny' day with Louise, whom I love hanging out with, and there wasn't actually too much over-thinking going on in my mind as we got going on the day. We read some books, and then somewhere in the back of my mind I worried about money. We played with the baby piano Louise has, and somewhere in the back of my mind I convinced myself that the last remains of the cough I have could intensify and turn into tuberculosis or something worse. We had lunch, and somewhere in my mind I made a mental note to avoid the primate house at the zoo.

After Louise went down for a nap, I returned a phone call to Theater J, whom I will be working with on a holiday musical in about a month. I spoke with Deliah there about a few details that I needed, including the re-introduction of the idea of me taking DRUM LESSONS so I can do some drumming in the upcoming show. No sooner had we talked about it and, on the outside, I gave her my excited word about learning to drum then on the inside, I had somehow convinced myself that I would fail miserably at drumming and they would fire me from the show and I'd somehow end up on the street, homeless, alone and talking to myself. And probably mumbling something about the danger of monkeys. (And no....it honestly doesn't get that bad...I'm exaggerating to make a point. Keep up. I'm sure I'll do fine with the drumming and the show....)

Then I got an email that changed my stream of thought on the day. 2 of my favorite people in the world are from my college days, Kim and Clint Baker. They live with their kids in Nampa, Idaho now. Kim's parents have also become friends of mine over the years, and they live in the greater San Diego area. Kim's parents have recently been affected by the fire's that are raging in that area - and Clint forwarded me an email regarding Kim's parents new home and their experience with the fires. Happily, they report, their house, aside from some very small amounts of damage, has been saved and had little to no actual burn damage. In the same area, within a mile of their home in any direction, 16 homes burned to the ground. A portion of the email praises the work and the efforts of the firefighters in the area....who are working long, hard, hot hours around the clock. Kim's mom included some pictures with the email of their home and the area - and I hope she won't mind me posting them here.

And just like that, I was snapped back into reality. The stresses of silly things like drumming and money and tv shows and chimps were quickly ushered out as I was reminded of the importance of family and service and safety and home. I was reminded what it truly meant to be blessed when the world around you seems in chaos. And I was reminded how blessed we are by people who are willing to put their lives on the line, over and over again, for people they don't know....sometimes in areas they have never been to before. None of these are new lessons....but they are all valuable lessons that are easily forgotten.

My situation never was grim...and I don't mean to sound like it is or was. But in life, it is so easy to get wrapped up in your own immediate STUFF and forget that your own life is actually full of happiness and richness every single day. So I am appreciative of the times in life when I see things in perspective...like today. I can say with assurity that I'm doing alright and have nothing to stress about in the least. PLUS I am happy to hear of the safety of my friends, the Callahan's. Best of luck with all that lies ahead of you guys!

Looking up the hill to the Callahan's house...over the burned area.

Looking at how close the fire got to the house.

A sooty, dusty interior of the front entry way...but still, pretty darn lucky, all things considered.

This is the most amazing picture she sent. Click on it to make it big and check it out!

No comments: