Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rollin' Along

So....tonight I had a pretty exciting night. I went on my first official 'training tour' with City Segway Tours. It is the first of 3 'training tours' that I have to take on the way to becoming a tour guide with the company. Yes.....that's right. I'm going to become a Segway tour guide in the Washington DC area. (Unsure of what, exactly, a Segway is? It's a 'People Transporter.' HAHA. That's clear. Just click HERE. OR...if you watched Arrested Development, just think of the thing Gob rolled around on. Now you get the picture.)

I followed one guide, Tom, with his group of 8 as we did the 'Twilight Tour' around the downtown DC area....hitting all the major 'POINTS' for tourists....but hitting them as we rolled along, laughing at the sorry saps who were relegated to just walking the area! I quickly became a fan of this mode of transportation, no matter how silly I may have looked, and I got very excited about the prospects of giving tours around the area. Like....I kind of want to go do one right now. But....it's 2:30am...so that won't really work.....

The Segways lie in waiting....

until our group got their chance to test out the machines...

and FINALLY roll out on the open road.

Anyway. It was a great night. No real problems. Well, except the time that I....um....tried to step off and ended up face-planting. Right in front of the entire group and the National Archives. And I mean COMPELTELY face-planted. (It was so humiliating and hysterical that I'm actually laughing about it right now, as I type this.) SO yeah....I may have a few things I need to get comfortable with first. But seriously....the people on Tom's tour paid for a good time, and I'm pretty sure they all had a good time watching me eat some sidewalk. So that's good.

The group listening to Tom's information about the Navy Memorial....only mere MINUTES before I face-planted.

Not for the squemish. This is my 'war wound' from the incident. But I'm fine. Thanks, upfront, for your concern.

I'm doing another training-tour on Friday, and then sometime next week, I'll finish up and start running my OWN tours, hopefully. So....get your reservations TODAY for the Matt Anderson Segway Special Tour of Awesomeness! And if you're really nice, I may do the face-plant-trick for you, too.

The Segway Gang rollin' up to the Capital Building.

This couple, Rob and Mae, were celebrating their 2 year wedding anniversary. So...that's fun.

The group rolls down Constitution Ave, nearing the end of the tour.

A roll-by of the White House.

Check out City Segway Tours by clicking HERE.
See you on the streets.
MAnderson

6 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

This sounds SO cool and my husband would LOVE it. Unfortunately, pregnant women aren't allowed in on the fun. That counts me out. But a gift certificate for Wil might be an awesome christmas present. Keep me posted on when your tours start.

Dainon. said...

What a crazy-fun kind of job. And I can't even tell what part of your body got hurt, but that's prolly a good thing.

MAnderson said...

That is the left shin, people, that got a little cut. But i'm pulling through nicely.

Lauren - i would LOVE to have you guys on a tour! It's a riot.

Unknown said...

Hey Matt! That is great! LTD! ;)

Hedderg said...

I LOOOOOOOVE that you are a Segway tour guide. Awesome!

Sparklebot said...

Sweet. I have wanted to do this tour forever and now I know what tour guide to get. Boo-yeah.