Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Can't Beat Honesty

Today I was walking to the Metro after my rehearsal, and I passed a homeless woman, standing on the side of the sidewalk against a store front. She had a foot up on an upside-down empty milk crate, she was wearing a dirty Santa hat, and she had a small Dixie cup-type-cup in her hand. She was shaking the cup, and it sounded like there were a couple of coins in the bottom of it.

As I got near her, I could hear her talking...and her words ended up being one of the best things I had heard all day. She said:

"Please make a donation to help the homeless! Help the homeless wtih a donation. Your donation COULD probably could feed a few homeless people."

(pause)

(pause)

"But it will PROBABLY just feed me. Thanks."

-----------------------

Sadly, I didn't have any cash in my pocket. But if I had, she TOTALLY would've gotten some. I liked her flare. I appreciated her honesty.

No comments: