Sunday, December 9, 2007

Shlemiel In Rehearsals

Hey friends! I now have 2 weeks of 'Shlemiel' rehearsals under my belt, and I figured it was about time that I give you a fair and accurate accounting of things. This past week, which was our 2nd week, was full of mucho craziness, so there is a lot to report.

Last Monday, as I was coming out of the Metro station to head to the theater, my phone buzzed with a new voice message I had gotten while I was on the train. The voice message was from our Assistant Stage Manager, Lacey. She was calling to tell me that rehearsal had been cancelled because our director, Nick's partner had had a heart attack. (Jumping to the end of the story really quick....he's doing well. Game on.....) She told me to hang out and wait to hear from our Stage Manager about what was next. Definitely stressed me out a bit...a week into rehearsals and two weeks from opening...you know....just a bit stressful.

The rest of the week shook out like this: Nick's partner, Tim, had triple-bypass surgery on Tuesday, which went as well as it could. Rehearsal director-less on Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday, we found out that Nick had withdrawn from the project to take care of Tim. Sad and stressful and crazy all rolled into one - but important and understandable, in the end. Wednesday, Theater J tells us they found a new director to step in and help get the showing moving along. Thursday, first rehearsal with new director, Michael, which goes really well. Friday, continue pulling the show together and piecing together what we have and what we still need.

So what I'm saying is that basically, the process for 'Shlemiel' has been anything but BORING! I am happy to report that the show IS coming right along. The show is definitely pushing me and stretching me and challenging me. It's fun and silly and happy and joyful...and the cast is doing an amazing job of rolling with the punches. We are down to our final FULL week of rehearsals before the curtain goes up on December 18th!

*And now...for your viewing pleasure....please enjoy the first 'behind the scene' shots of 'Shlemiel The First' in rehearsals, this past week, at the DCJCC!

Have a GREAT Monday!
MAnderson

L-R: Amy (Mrs. Shlemiel), Justin (Shlemiel's son) and Maribeth (stage manager standing in for Shlemiel, who had to work and couldn't be at rehearsal this day) work out one of the 'family scenes' in Act 2.

L-R: Derek (music director and a serious reality tv fan friend) and Donna (Yenta Pesha) chillin' on the side lines.

L: Justin, Tom (Shlemiel) and Maribeth (who is NOW standing in for Isabel, who plays Shlemiel's daughter. She was on her way to rehearsal from school.) R: Dan (Gronam Ox) studying lines....or sleeping....I can't really tell.

Howard (Sender Shlamazel) watches the action on stage. Please notice Howard's awesome beard around his neck. Love the beards.

Another 'family scene'. You have previously met all the players.

Rob (Zalman Tippish) sits, contemplating just how much UN-fun the beards are. OR he's just looking over his script.

L: Fred (Mendel Shmendrick) looks at the action on stage and laughs. Fred CRACKS. ME. UP. R: Dan and Howard hard at work with their scripts. There is actually a good chance that Dan is sleeping in this shot, too.

Amy and Tom tug at the ol' heart strings with 'My One And Only Shlemiel'.

-----

*I realize there are no shots of me. Because 1. I was TAKING the pictures, DUH! and 2. We all KNOW I hate being in pictures. Thanks.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey! Travis and I are going to be in VA for Christmas, we'd love to see your show. Where do I purchase tickets?

Jen