Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Since Last We Met...

So...it's true I haven't written (or even just posted) much the past week. And I'm sure I could come up with a thousand excuses....but I'm not going to. Instead, I'm just going to tell you what has been happening in my life in the past 7 days...and I think you will understand that I've had good reason to be missing.

Let's start with the obvious.....



For those of you wondering HOW I live between shows, I'm sure you'd be interested to know that I am busy with 2 part-time jobs. I went back to the good ol' Washington Speakers Bureau at the beginning of January, and have spent anywhere from 20-36 part-time hours a week helping out there in various functions. It's fun to be back with friends and in an environment that I enjoy. And it's nice to have a steadier income than show-pay that ends when the show ends.



Part-time job #2 is the Segway Tours here in DC. And as the nice weather goes, so goes the tours! This past weekend, I had a couple of tours with varying group sizes...and as always, it was a BLAST! For those of you planning trips to DC or with friends or family planning trips to DC (Stephanie's husband...this means YOU!), be sure and get in contact with me about setting up your tour to see the city on the coolest machines around!



When I'm not working to bring home the bacon, it will surprise none of you to know I've been up to my ears in different aspects of theater around the DC area. This winter, I spent a large amount of time co-choreographing a production of "URINETOWN: The Musical" with the Reston Players in Reston, Virginia. The show opened 2 weeks ago, and so part of my past week/weekend was spent in Reston, watching the show...and, truth be told, sneaking out during the slow parts to head over to Dairy Queen for a coconut cream pie blizzard.



I have also spent part of the past week as an audience member at the Kennedy Center for part of their 'August Wilson 20th Century Cycle' productions. I got a chance to see productions of 'Gem of the Ocean' and 'Joe Turner's Come and Gone', and I am here to tell you that August Wilson's work is alive and in amazing hands in Washington DC. I was blown away by both productions....and as they are done as 'staged readings' (but complete with set, costumes and lights), you have the chance to focus on the words - because so much of the normal action that is taken up by props and lots of blocking is gone...and it's just these characters, standing or sitting or laying around....talking. And as an actor, as cheesy as it sounds, it was amazing and inspiring to see these incredible casts in action. The shows are still going...so if you get a chance, catch one!





And JUST when you thought this blog entry couldn't contain ANY more theater references, I remembered that I had to tell you that I also spent part of my 'missing week' in 2 callback auditions for parts in Ford's Theatre 2008-2009 season. They are doing productions of '1776' and 'The Civil War: The Musical' - both of which are favorites of mine. And Thursday and Friday of last week, I was busy auditioning for directors, casting directors, music directors...the works. It was fun and stressful and exciting - just the thought of being involved with anything at Ford's - but specifically with 2 shows that contain so much American history! No word yet on either....but hopefully I will have something positive to report back soon! For those of you that have been sending good thoughts....family, friends, Team GS, and others...they are much appreciated!



Just when I thought MY connections with Ford's had come to an end, I spent the first part of this week waiting and gathering information about an opportunity that came my from my auditions last week! In February 2009, Ford's Theatre will celebrate the 'Lincoln Bicentennial' in a variety of ways...but one of them is the production of a play that they have commissioned for the event. This week, I received an invitation from the casting director of Ford's, inviting me to take part in the first reading of the play - for the in-house staff of Ford's. It will consist of the playwright, the producer, artistic director, casting director, director of education, etc, etc, etc. It is just a chance for them all to hear this play for the first time EVER...and to begin the process of moving it from first draft in March 2008 to final production in February 2009. I'm thrilled and honored to be asked to be a part of the reading...and will keep you all posted on how it goes after Friday!



This week, I also dove back into reading. I took the advice of my good friend, Christy Banker (even against my will) and bought a book found in the 'TEEN SECTION' at Barnes & Noble. It's called 'The Book Thief' - and I don't want to say TOO much about it, but I do want to point out a few things:

-I bought the book on Saturday afternoon.

-I started reading the book immediately.

-I finished the book Tuesday afternoon.

-The book has 550 pages.

-I stood at the Pentagon bus stop, crying, as I finished the book.

This book....I love it. Leave it to the New York Times to sum up my feelings: "BRILLIANT and hugely ambitious...It's the kind of book that can be LIFE CHANGING." I'm not saying it is for everyone...but for anyone that loves words and the power of words...take a chance on a TEEN book, tucked somewhere between the Gossip Girl series and the stupid Vampire Chick series (Twilight, Evening, Gag Me....you know the ones I am talking about). I think you'll be glad you did. If you HAVE read it, let me know what you think.

And in the midst of it all, I found time to see 4 movies, too. I enjoyed them all, in varying degrees and various reasons. I don't want to take too much time discussing them here...and now. But if you want the quick MASE ratings, I will list them here and we can discuss later.

Penelope: low 8

Miss Pettigrew: 10

The Band's Visit: low 7

Be Kind: 8

And with whatever "time" I've had left this week, I've spent it celebrating the achievements of my friends! THIS week, I'm celebrating for my good friend, Andrew Frace - from the first year of Wonka Tour fame! Andrew just found out that he got cast in the National Tour of Disney's 'The Lion King' as ED, one of the 3 hyenas! And not ONLY that, he gets to play 9 weeks at the Kennedy Center!

I've met a LOT of people throughout the past 3 years, as I've been in this proefssional theater world, but there is NO ONE that has worked harder and deserves success like this MORE than Andrew. He's incredibly focused - amazingly talented - and so darn nice and humble to top it all off! So all week, when I've had a free second, I've taken the chance to share Andrew's story with someone else...because it IS reason to celebrate! Thanks for being LTD, Princess! I'm so proud of you!

--------------------------------

So there you have it. Where have I been and what have I been doing since last I posted? I think it's more appropriate to ask where HAVEN'T I been and what HAVEN'T I done. I'm a busy guy, folks. And mostly, it's my own doing...but I find that I funcion best that way...so although I like to SAY that I will slow down, it's probably never going to happen. I'm busy with my own version of 'LTD' here in the DC area....and it's crazy. But I love it.

(LTD: Livin' The Dream.)

(Are you LTD?)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, this sneaking out during the "slow parts" of Urinetown? What parts might those be? hmmmmm?

anais odessa said...

Dairy Queen has a coconut cream pie blizzard?!?!?!?!?!?