Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Funny Little "Life" Lesson

Not so much "HA HA" funny.

More.....like....."interesting" funny.

So last night, I had a tour. And all weekend, I was excited because it was just going to be a group of 2 people. I'm normally down for whatever....but after a busy week and weekend of rehearsals and then working all day at the desk job yesterday, I just wanted a nice, easy, small group.

Monday during the day, I checked the reservations again, and sometime mid-morning, a 3rd person signed up for the trip. 3 people? OK. Fine. Right before I leave the desk job to head downtown, I check. A 4th person. 4....not my easy little 2 that I had started with, but manageable. But I can feel myself getting more and more tired and irritable by the SECOND.

I get to the office, we start moving machines around, getting things set up. And as a bit of a side note, I ask boss-man Jack if it's still 4 people. He indicates that he hasn't checked since it was at 2...so I walk over to the computer to confirm...and what do my weary eyes behold....3 MORE PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP! I went from a mere 2 to an entire gaggle of 7! The latest....3 women from New York...Long Island, it appeared. I'm ready to curl up in a ball and sleep...and just forget about dragging a line of 7 around the city. (I know...great attitude, Matt. I WAS TIRED! So sue me!)

The tour turned out to be great. 3 guys from Calgary Canada, who were in town for a conference today...and were the original 2 and then 1 that were my first 3. Then a very nice guy from Singapore, who was in town for the same conference and quickly became friends with the other 3. And finally....my 3 that pushed it over the top? All law professors from Nassau College in New York...who were in town with 8 of their students...going to see the Supreme Court this morning. Very funny, loud, boisterous New York women. Everyone in the group rode very well...was attentive....didn't mess around...and was very interesting to talk to. We all had a great time (myself included) and we were in high spirits as we got back to the office.

The life lesson? Upon returning to the office, and getting everyone's damage deposits voided and everyone sent on their way, I was left with one $20 tip. Which was very nice. And it was from....the 3 New York ladies. My 3 late signers...who I had prayed wouldn't ever materialize.

So country music be damned, sometimes I DO have to thank God for unanswered prayers...because without them, I'd be $20 poorer and not nearly as entertained as I was by those 3!

No comments: