Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No. Really. Be Honest.

Yesterday I went to an audition. I will not name the location of this audition...but it was here in the greater DC area. That's all you really need to know.

When I walked into the room, there were 2 very nice women behind the table...and one of them started talking to me all chatty-sassy like, about the audition and my resume. And then she said, "I'm talking to you like I know! I'm sorry...I know you don't know who I am....but I know who you are because I saw you in 'Shlemiel' at Theater J."

By this point, I was standing at the piano, handing my music to the pianist for the day, and I looked back at her, laughed a little at the idea of this woman only knowing my from 'Shlemiel', and then I said, "Oh silly Shlemiel. That show was a trip."

The chatty woman kind of lost her smile and said, "That show was TERRIBLE."

{cricket}

{cricket}

{cricket}

I was FLOORED! I didn't know what to say. I started to mumble, "Well...." And she cut me off. She said, "No it really was. It was an amazing cast, and YOU were incredible....which is why you're here today. But really. That show was TERRIBLE."

Again....an uncomfortable silence hung over the room for what felt like 43 weeks...but what was probably 1.4 seconds. And then she smiled really big and said, "And what are you going to sing for us today?"