Tuesday, August 28, 2007

F#$@ this SH&T!

I have a confession to make. I went to a movie today. Alone. And....it was 'The Nanny Diaries.' And I'm ok with it. I mean I'm ok with going to the movies alone. When I lived in Korea teaching English (1995-1997), I went to a lot of movies alone...and I became very comfortable with it. The movie itself, I'm kind of indifferent to. If you loved the book, don't waste your time with the movie. It's not bad....it's just not as good as the book...by any stretch of the imagination. Laura Linney is pretty dang amazing as Mrs. X. Big I digress....

So today. I went to an afternoon movie to see 'The Nanny Diary' at Mazza Gallery, and it started out to be a pretty normal, if not quiet, movie experience. There ended up being about 30 or so people in the large theater, and I was sitting in the front row of the stadium-seating-area, as I like to do, so I could put my feet up on the bars. About 2 minutes before the previews started, I noticed a young man (guessing 19-23 years old) walk in to the theater and sit down in the front row also, at the very end. He had on a sideways hat, a white t-shirt and had another shirt slung over his shoulder, and it appeared to me that he was maybe an employee of the theater, on a break or coming in early to catch up on his movies. Thinking nothing more of it, I turned as the previews began, and I made mental notes to see The Kite Runner, Martian Child and (sadly), perhaps even Amanda Bynes new movie, Sydney White. But again, I digress....

'The Nanny Diaries' is about 1 hour and 55 minutes...and for the first 1 hour and 45 minutes, the movie unfolded pretty much like you think it would...everyone in the theater seemed to be laughing at the right places and ooh-ing and aaaah-ing at the right places. And then, just as the movie started to finish, and Annie the Nanny started to FINALLY find resolution to her life and situation, the young man at the end of my row stood up, said very loudly and angrily "Man....F#$@ this SH%T!" and walked out of the theater.


UMMMM.....ok...seriously? Did you SIT through the first hour and forty-five minutes thinking she was going to open fire on someone or there was going to be a high-speed car chase or Mrs. X's apartment was going to blow up or something? WHY wait until the last 10 minutes to curse out the movie in frustration and storm out? Even without SEEING the movie, you can pretty much surmise from the title and the movie poster that it's going to maybe focus on a 20-something girl , maybe in a large city, who ends up being a child-care-giver to maybe a bratty child and she maybe, just maybe, decides to write her experiences in her journal. Maybe.

I mean DO your research, buddy. Love or hate the movie, there is NO need to curse out the screen solely based on a lack of preparation on your behalf. Especially 9/10 of the way THROUGH the movie. Plus, I'm PRETTY sure you left before we all found out that Mrs. X's real name is Alexandra. Come to think of it.....maybe THAT'S why you stormed out in the first place: you didn't think they were going to to tell us. Well F#$@ that SH%T, sir...they DID tell us! So the jokes on you!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

how is it possible that you have something totally bizarro like this happen to you every day? honestly! hahahahaha mother f*#&!$. hahahahha