Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer Vacation Ends

And by 'summer vacation', I mean a vacation from my blog, evidently. I think a solid 10 days away from a blog constitutes a 'good vacation' - so now I'm back and ready to catch up. Between working and auditions and the searing heat wave we had last week, I just had little to no UMPH when it came to 'blogging time' every night. I found my UMPH today, though...since my commute took 2 hours (damn power outage across the city!) and I needed to channel my energy somewhere when I got to work. HAHAHAHA! Why channel it towards work? Boo, I say.

So - in no certain order, here is what has been going on in my life over the past couple of weeks. Please keep up...there will be a test at the end.

1. ROSS PATTERSON VISITS WASHINGTON DC!!!
The last day of May, I did a Segway tour that included a fellow Idahoan, Ross Patterson. Ross was in town for a conference or convention or something 'official' like that...but he took some time to see the city, also, with the 'Matt Anderson Complete Tour Services' - including a Segway tour, dinner and lunch at DC 'hot spots' (dinner at Matchbox and lunch the next day Ben's Chili Bowl. People who know, can I get an "AMEN!"? Thanks!) AND - an amazing storm as we walked down U Street back towards his hotel. All in all, an successful 24-hour span of time hanging with Ross. (HE MADE THE BLOG, STEPHANIE! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!)

Here are Ross and I on our Segways...Ross complete with a Boise State shirt! On the steps of the Capitol Building. God bless the USA!

2. 'DAVID' annouces it is closing early!!!

So after an 8 week rehearsal process, which was probably one of the most frustrating and stressful experiences of my life, 'David' opened to a series of SCATHING reviews in local DC press....about 11 harsh reviews....each one more brutal than the next. (In our defense, the Georgetowner Current Press Ledger Courier thing....whatever it's called....LOVED it. So...you know. We have THAT going for us.) And by the time it was done, the reviews effectively kept the masses away from buying tickets...so after comps and deep-pocket-discounts, the theater annouced we would be closing on June 15th - a week (5 shows) earlier than anticipated. So we lost a week of salary...although, it DOES mean we don't have to do the show 5 more times. That's solid. It might not sound like THAT big of a deal, but shows like this don't normally close in DC. We were not a show having a commercial run. We were running at a venue that has a subscriber base. But whatever. However it happened, it happened. And we have 3 shows left. And although I'm going to miss being with this cast, I'm sure we're all going to have an extra-special celebration on Sunday when that final "...AND" is sung and the final sheep puppet has its final moment with David. I wonder if we will all have our "moment" with N.O. in the Land of And someday? hmmmmm..........

I took these photos for Russell's wife, Janine. She wanted some Goliath shots to show her mom.

Donna shows off the sheep puppet poop (I'm sure you're sad to know it was CUT from the show in previews) to pass time between shows. Honestly.....SHEEP PUPPET POOP. Read that right.

3. I SAW THIS DUDE.......

Sitting outside the JCC one day, this dude went ZOOMING by on a...um....motorized skateboard? I guess? And then when he was coming back from the Whole Foods the other direction, I got my camera out in time to snap a picture of him. See the cord from the back of the board up to his right hand? Controlling it? I mean....why even buy a skateboard? Isn't the whole POINT of a skateboard to do the whole leg-pump thing? Ridiculous. And I want one.

4. I got another job for the 2008-2009 season!!!

I'm thrilled to be slowly filling up my 'theater dance card' for the upcoming season. As regular readers know, I'm doing 'BUSYTOWN the musical' with Imagination Stage in the fall. And I can't WAIT! (I just got the script - hysterical - and the cast list - fun people. Bring. It. On.) And last week, I filled my 'Spring Show' need when I got cast in a world-premiere play with Theater J. The play is called 'The Rise and Fall of Annie Hall' - it's a really funny script and it's a cast of 5. And I'm very excited to get to work on my first real play (not-musical) in the area. More information on this show as it gets closer. But you can click HERE to read more about it.

This is a graphic from the advertising for the show.

5. The Nationals are still not good......

but going to their games at the new Nationals Park is so much fun....who cares? You can get Ben's Chili Bowl, Five Guys, Red Hot & Blue BBQ at the stadium....all the best of DC AND US President Characters with huge heads racing in the out field? Who needs a good team! Matt P, Russell, Anais and I went to the Cardinals/Nats game...that was subsequently rained out by a cr-izzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-azy storm. Here I am just including a couple of photos from that night...but my next entry....maybe this afternoon after lunch...will be photos from the rain delayed game. It was wacky. SOOOO much rain.

Me, Russell, George and Matt P strike a pose pre-game. Evidently the girl we asked to take the picture has never heard of 'centering'. It's a new concept but I BET it catches on eventually.

I couldn't choose which picture I liked better...so I added them both. Russell and Matty P show off the FREE t-shirts we got. Anais showed up late so no t-shirt for her. And that's sad because who doesn't want a Big-Head-Jefferson t-shirt?

6. A trip to the country.

Delaplane, VA, to be exact. Still unclear about many of the details....but I know it was an appreciation dinner/bbq for some of the donors who have donated to 'David'. And the cast was there to entertain. It was far away.....the hamburger balls were......interesting....and it was 400 degrees outside. BUT the setting really was beautiful. And Donna M and I had a blast on our 'road trip' that had written directions including 'turn off the paved road on to the dirt road that runs along side the train tracks.' How could you NOT love an adventure like that? PLUS after it was all said and done, we had an awesome lightning show on the drive home! Here are some pics of the "farm" we were at.

A look out across the back of the property.

The guest-house-pool-dining-bbq-don't-let-your-dog-around-here area.

The koi pond.

Up close down at the pond.

Russell and the Yates family....looking back up the hill towards the house. Wait...we have to climb back UP there to eat? Grrrrrr....

7. I came across an old picture/memory that delights me everytime....

enough said....

* * * * *

So there you go. A written/photo report of 'what I did on my summer vacation away from my blog.' I'll be back sooner than later with more summer excitement from our nation's capital city. Happy Friday the 13th!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Yay for Spring Work! Boo for Sheep poo!!